Thursday 13 February 2014

What else is out there? Sauer? Strasser? Heym?

In my hunt for the rifle system that would best meet my needs I continued to follow every lead, like a detective searching for clues to solve a case.

I took a few steps down the path that leads to tactical rifles, including some switch barrel models. They're accurate. However, each look reminded me that I'm not a tactical shooter. I'm a recreational shooter - a hunter. I'm looking for a rifle that's designed for hunting, is nice to use, is refined and looks good, while being highly functional and reliable. I don't want to look like some military sniper wannabe. I need to look sensible and conservative when I seek permission to hunt over a farmer's land. I need a rifle that has a bit of style and grace.

Sauers are stylish. I spent some time investigating the Sauer 202 and the 202 Take Down. I wasn't thrilled with the barrel clamping of the 202, shown in this video. With the 202 Take Down the bolt draws the barrel tightly into the receiver where matching conical machining ensures a tight fit. The barrel is removed by gripping it like Tarzan and slamming the bolt back, as shown in this video. It can be a bit clumsy though. The Sauer 202 models are known for their smooth actions, which is handy if fast repeating is the order of the day. With the 202s a whole new bolt is needed for caliber group changes, as distinct from just bolt heads with the Blaser R8, the Mauser M03 and the Merkel RX Helix. Like the Helix, the 202 magazines stack the cartridges vertically and protrude below the stock. Mags that hold five rounds protrude a lot. Sauer's eight round magazine? Gangster style! I prefer the clean look of a magazine that doesn't stick out, as well as one that can be easily topped up without being removed. The M03 and R8 fit the bill in this respect. The M03 magazine holds five standard cartridges; the R8, four. Five beats four.

Some folk I know love the Sauer look. The high Monte Carlo stock, or a hogs back, the two piece timber, the angled divide, the spoon shaped bolt handle. There must be something wrong with me though - it's not working.

Another thing that isn't working is the absence of a cocking and de-cocking lever or slide. Upon deciding it was time to upgrade to some new rifles I also decided that they would be safer than my old ones. All long term shooters have either had or been near someone who's had an unintentional discharge. Scary. My son and daughter will often be using the new rifles with me. A rifle that doesn't have a safety system based on an uncocked firing spring is going to have a hard time winning this competition.


Sauer 202 Take Down Elegance

What about the Strasser RS 05? It has a range of impressive and innovative technical solutions to rifle design as seen in the Rifle Talk video here. Straight pull, take-down, switch barrel, lightweight, easily adjusted trigger, hydraulic barrel clamping, brilliant scope mount - they all get ticks. Less ideal from my point of view are the shortish barrel lengths, the low capacity of the standard magazine, the protrusion of the higher capacity magazines and the lack of big calibers, for that possibility of an African safari or Alaskan adventure. And, the lack of a de-cocker. These points will not be a problem for many hunters, in which case the Strasser RS 05 is worth a close look.


Strasser RS 05 Super Luxus

There's also the Heym SR30. Good points - straight pull, switchable barrelled actions, de-cocking mechanism, availability of straight butt-stocks. Less ideal - the shortish barrels, three shot magazines that are not flush fitting and four shot mags that protrude, lack of big African calibers and the apparent need to order barrelled receivers with the stock to ensure the right fit. As with the Strasser RS 05, if these features are not a problem the Heym SR30 is worthy of close consideration. Heym users are often heard reporting on the excellent manufacturing quality of their rifles. Unfortunately the SR30 is not ticking enough boxes on my list.

Heym SR30







4 comments:

  1. Hey there. I would add Titan 16, Blaser R8 Success, Browning Maral and Merkel Helix to that list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam. Thanks for these thoughts. I agree with you. I talk at some length about the Blaser R8 in this blog, though I haven't covered the Success variant. I don't think it was released when I was making my decision, which ended up in favour of the Mauser M03 of course. I've covered the Merkel RX Helix as well. I haven't seen a Browning Maral in the 'flesh' but did study it a bit. Same for the Titan 16.
      The new rifle that is the closest competition for the Mauser M03 to my mind is the Sauer 404. I had a good look at its features when it was released and go back to look at new reviews from time to time, such as yesterday actually. I keep concluding that the Mauser M03 suits my needs and preferences better. The Mauser has a better and more convenient barrel mounting and changing system and most importantly, has a set trigger (though not for US buyers, I understand) which I really like and use a lot. I have mine set at 150/200gm (caliber dependent) and 900gm, which I can choose between instantly. The Sauer can't do that. Good points for the Sauer 404 are the scope mount, which looks very well designed and made and the very straight stock, to help control recoil. I think the Mauser M03 looks better though; a classic design that works! Aren't we lucky to have such fine hunting firearms to choose between?
      If you're in the process of selecting a new rifle do let us know how you go. Thanks.
      Regards, Rick.

      Delete
  2. Rick. I finally got time to look through your blog. Credit to your attention to detail and excellent photography!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this Sam. Much appreciated. It's been a lot of fun working on this blog while I've been enjoying my Mauser M03 rifles. Hopefully the blog provides a bit more information on this quite wonderful rifle choice.
      Regards, Rick.

      Delete

Your comments and questions make this blog much more interesting. You can submit them for moderation here via your Google account, or take them over to the Mauser M03 Blog - Discussion Forum (link at top of page). If you do comment here I'll publish it and reply as soon as possible. Please check back soon. Thanks.
Regards, Rick.

Subscribe