Sunday 9 February 2014

Introduction - Mauser M03 Blog

Hello. Rick is my name. Welcome to my blog about the Mauser M03 rifle system.

My intention with these pages is to record what I've learned about the Mauser M03, from scouring the web and quizzing contacts, through to gaining hands-on experience. There's not enough information online about the M03 so I hope these pages make it easier for shooters and hunters to work out if it's the right choice for them.

The first few posts will look back over the period of more than a year during which I slowly accumulated knowledge on the M03 and similar systems, leading up to my selection and purchase experience. "More than a year!", I hear someone saying. Yes, well, closer to 18 months really. I wanted to enjoy the process of learning about European switch barrel rifles, to take my time, mull over the pros and cons and in the end, get it right in terms of what mattered most to me.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to post a comment, here or on the Mauser M03 Blog channel I'll set up on YouTube. Or even better, visit the Mauser M03 Blog Discussion Forum, which I've set up to make Q&A easier. Click here to go there.


2 comments:

  1. Rick,

    I have found quite a big difference in the impact point when swapping over between Mo3 stocks. In other words, when I moved a 243 Win barrel, with Zeiss HD5-25 scope, from a wood stock to a synthetic stock (having zero’d the 243 and Zeiss on the wood stock), I noted a more than 6’’ change the impact point both in windage and elevation. I experience something similar when moving a 375 H&H, with Zeiss Congest 3x9, from one wood stock to another.

    I would have expected a much smaller shift in zero point when moving between stocks.

    Do you have any reference material about this or can you point to where I can find out more about this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tatalanga. Thanks for your interesting question. I remember when I was weighing up all of the options - Blaser vs Mauser vs Merkel etc - that I discussed this question of barrels/scopes keeping their zero when being moved between different receivers. The considered responses I got from two Mauser dealers, including from John Miall himself, were that I should expect the impact point to shift away from zero if I moved a barrel to a new receiver; enough of a shift to make it necessary to adjust the sights for each receiver, barrel, scope & ammo combination. It looks like your results are consistent with this, which seems right to me. I've learned that simply changing to a different projectile of the same weight is enough to produce a 6" change in sighting at 100m. I would not expect that changing a barrel would be any different. Another interesting observation made by John was that when it comes to changing barrels between receivers, it's likely that there will be less deviation in the zero with the Blaser R8 or R92 system than with the Mauser M03, simply because with the Blaser the scope is mounted directly onto the barrel. I haven't tested this, but it seems to be a reasonable theory. To my mind it is always necessary to adjust zero when swapping barrels between receivers, so it's an academic point that's possibly won by Blaser.

    To answer your last question, no, I haven't done any testing of how well zero is maintained when swapping a barrel between receivers. I've never expected this to work well and so haven't tested for it. If I was swapping a barrel between receivers I'd map where I need to set the scope with each receiver. Or use different scopes! This should work just as well as using two barrels interchangeably on one receiver, which I have demonstrated and which does work, as shown here. http://mauserm03blog.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/mauser-m03-accuracyrepeatability.html

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and questions make this blog much more interesting. You can submit them for moderation here via your Google account, or take them over to the Mauser M03 Blog - Discussion Forum (link at top of page). If you do comment here I'll publish it and reply as soon as possible. Please check back soon. Thanks.
Regards, Rick.

Subscribe