Wednesday 12 February 2014

The clever little Merkel RX Helix

A short while before visiting Miall's to handle the Mauser M03 and Blaser R8 I moved my token back to Go and ran a google search for 'German switch barrel rifle'. In amongst the list I found reference to one I hadn't heard of - the Merkel RX Helix. When I tracked one down it turned out to be a fascinating design that can't be ignored. The following links will help if unfamiliar. I fully expect you'll say 'Wow!', as I did.

Merkel's site for the RX Helix
Merkel's YouTube video showing users trying out the Helix



In summary the Merkel RX Helix is a lightweight, take-down, interchangeable barrel rifle, with a straight pull action that's geared two-to-one. The bolt moves twice the speed and distance of the bolt handle and remains enclosed in the action housing throughout its travel. The only tools needed to change calibers are a thumb and a couple of fingers, which remove the fore-stock and turn a clamping lever to set the barrel free. If the bolt is forward when this is done the bolt head comes out too, to be easily switched if required for the new barrel.

The receiver has two sections of integrated picatinny rail which don't look too inelegant. Rather, it looks purposeful and fits well with the rifle's angular, modern looks. Merkel refer to this as being a design for the 21st century and they have a point. Yet they also harken back to the well regarded philosophy of the Mauser turn bolt action, for while the Helix is a straight-pull, at the end of its stroke the bolt head rotates and its seven lugs engage with abutments in the barrel end-piece.


Merkel's design and marketing is clearly oriented to tap into concerns shooters might have about the safety and functionality of Blaser's R93/R8 locking mechanism, which does have its foibles. Merkel is not subtle in referring to the inherent safety of the rotating bolt head and how the enclosed action means the shooter does not have the experience of the bolt carrier coming back at his or her face. Nor will pieces of the bolt carrier, is their hint between the lines. Merkel are reminding their target audience that some Blasers have blown up, from reloaders using pistol powder in magnum rifle cartridges it seems - never a good idea.

Merkel also point out that the Helix's firing pin mechanism is designed to ensure that when the trigger is pulled, the rifle will fire. Here, Merkel are pointing quite openly to one of those Blaser foibles, where an R93 or R8 fed with ammo that's not sized to its liking, or even good ammo that isn't chambered with gusto, might not fire. Improper engagement of the bolt's fingers in the barrel recess causes the firing pin to be blocked, to avoid a possible case rupture. With safety in mind Blaser has made sure that its rifles won't fill my head with shrapnel, which is sure to be appreciated by the grizzly bear that is eating me. Of course Blaser owners can avoid this fate by only ever feeding their rifles with either factory ammo or properly sized reloads. And by closing the action good and hard.

Turning attention back to the Merkel RX Helix, my online research left me curious enough to drive a few hours to the nearest gun shop that had one. It was simply delightful to shoulder and aim, being lighter than a Blaser R8, though a little longer. The need for the bolt head to rotate out of the barrel together with the straight pull action's gearing meant there was a degree of inertia to overcome to get the bolt moving, but once it was moving it travelled with plenty of momentum. It was fun to use, and fast. Merkel are drawing a bit of a long bow when their marketing refers to the 1898 action as an indicator that their rotating bolt head is as safe as Mausers. They also remind us that the Merkel brothers drank beer with the Mauser brothers - but the fact is, the bearing surfaces of the Helix bolt lugs are angled and not at 90 degrees to the bore. This makes breaking the action open after firing easier, which is important given the limited mechanical advantage afforded by the straight pull. I suspect the Helix would have just as much trouble with tight reloads as the R93 or R8. Nevertheless, the pic below shows that the bolt lugs make for quite a substantial rotating lockup.

Unlike the Helix's bolt handle, the cocking slide was not so much fun. It operates in a manner similar to that of the Blasers, just a bit stiffer and trickier to manipulate. I found de-cocking to be a challenge at first - the slide has to be pushed up a little further, with the thumb then rolling forward onto the release button. The cocking slide also tended to get in the way of my thumb after operating the action and taking a new grip, but that's probably just a matter of practice. This problem is shown in the YouTube video linked above, where one of the shooters stops trying to get his thumb around the grip.

The only disappointment with the Merkel RX Helix I handled that day was the trigger. It hadn't been tuned, it was heavy and had some mushy slack before firming and releasing, with a distinct lack of crispness. I've read that Helix triggers can be nicely tuned and I'd prefer to be writing that this one had been, but alas, no. The Blaser R8 and Mauser M03 triggers I'd tried earlier were much better.

Did someone say Mauser? The salesman heard me mention "M03" and pulled a used one from the rack behind him. I couldn't help smiling as I operated the action and soon heard myself say, "This, is a proper rifle."







6 comments:

  1. I have never heard of one shooting better than 1.5" groups at 100 Yards. This is a real shame as the lack of accuracy counts it out as a long range mountain rifle. It's take down capability would be awesome for such an application but alas they don't have the accuracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a video on YouTube of a Merkel factory guy, Matthias Dunkel is his name I think, shooting a decent group with a Helix in 308 Win. That's the only one I've found though. The reasons I've put my own vids and pics of good groups from the M03 onto the web is so prospective buyers can see some independent evidence of what the rifles can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi all, I currently own 2 Merkel RX Helix rifles with multiple barrels and all shoot 1 MOA easily. Cals from 300 winmag to 223. These are great carry / hunting rifles and are another great quality German product. Check out the YouTube videos, Aimpoint on driven hunts and the rifles used are all Merkel and Sauer. At 3.5 kg with scope they are a great Cary rifle and I have no issues with any factory ammo achieving 1” at 100 meters.

    I’m also a bit of a collector of takedown rifles and luv them for this reason and ease of travelling with them (plane etc)
    I also own 2 x M03’s both Alpine but 1 of these is in grade 7 walnut, the other is the Alpine Stalker grade 4, this is in 9.3 and 308w. The grade 7 is 7mm rem mag and 22-250 and 404 Jeffries.

    I also own a Sauer 202 Hatari takedown in 30-06, 300wm & 375h&h, this rifle holds amazing zero, same point of impact with any barrel, no need to change scope settings in any way. The mounts are EAW and I take the scope off the rifle while it rests in the safe.

    Anyway back to the Merkel, this is a fantastic rifle and people should try for themselves before writing posts on here say!!
    I love the blog, great work, and all the best. Cheers Ivan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivan. Thanks for writing about your wonderful collection of take-down rifles. Wow! Impressive. As you've read in this post about the RX-Helix and elsewhere in this blog, my preference is for the Mauser M03, due to its very positive bolt-head lock up into the barrel. I reload all of my own ammunition, usually with neck sizing only, so a strong and positive action is very important. On this point, did you see my post titled 'Click vs Bang'? It shows how I've found many videos featuring Blasers which fail to fire. Eek! That's unlikely to happen with a Mauser M03, though improperly seated primers can cause a problem. Have you ever had a fail-to-fire problem with your Merkel RX Helix or with the Sauer 202?
      Thanks again for your comment and I look forward to your reply.
      Regards, Rick.

      Delete
  4. Hi Rick, thanks for your reply, I will read the post click vs bang, I don’t have a R8 or any Blaser, I know people love them and I have used and shot them myself but just really didn’t like them all that much, it’s a preference thing!
    I load my own ammo also and in regards to the Merkel only the extremely hot loads in mag I do have a bit more force needed to open the action after firing, as an example on 7mm rem mag I load 64 grains of AR2213SC for 2900 fps and have never had a problem, this is a hot load, but the rifle likes it.
    I have never had a miss fire, if the bolt doesn’t completely rotate on closing it won’t let you fire, this has happened when loading a bullet in very slowly into the breach. On the Sauer 202, this is a fixed bolt head model, so you have to change the whole bolt when changing calibers. On this Hatari model, No tools are needed to change the barrel, it’s practically done in 30 seconds, it is on YouTube how quickly this is achieved.

    I love your blog Rick and have been on here before over the years, as I too love the M03, a real quality rifle by Mauser, it is unfortunate that they stopped production of this model. I love the all steel action and all steel components, I love the open action on the top like the 98 so you can just drop another one in from the top if needed. The safe cocking action on the bolt, etc etc you know what I mean as will all the other M03 owners out there. I have 5 barrels now for the M03 and there are still some that I wouldn’t mind adding to the collection.
    Keep up the great work and luv the blog.
    Cheers Ivan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear about the Merkel handling strong hand loads. Good work.
      It's strange how there's so many videos of Blasers misfiring. You'd think people wouldn't post them, but they do. YouTube has put blocks on some of the embedded vids I've included, but they can still be seen over on YT itself. It's quite fascinating to see them go click, usually at a most inconvenient time. I've heard of professional hunters and outfitters in Africa and North America disallowing Blasers on hunts for dangerous game, for reasons like this. But there are also vids of Blasers being used for these hunts, so it varies.
      Gotta love a good strong Mauser. I've heard that new barrels can still be ordered from the factory, though they're not exactly publicising this. They'd rather you bought a whole new rifle; an M12 or M18. Or a 98!
      I'm hoping that good sales or Sako's new take-down rifle will cause Mauser to offer the M03 again. It's a wonderful rifle system.
      Regards, Rick.

      Delete

Your comments and questions make this blog much more interesting. You can submit them for moderation here via your Google account, or take them over to the Mauser M03 Blog - Discussion Forum (link at top of page). If you do comment here I'll publish it and reply as soon as possible. Please check back soon. Thanks.
Regards, Rick.

Subscribe