Tuesday 25 February 2014

Recoil with the Mauser M03

Now that I've fired my new Mauser M03 rifles, in 270 Win and 30-06, with factory loads that are not holding back in the oomff department, I can report that recoil is very well controlled indeed. I've been shooting with a light weight rig, a much enjoyed Remington Mountain Rifle with a small Leupold scope, in 30-06 for a couple of decades. Over time I've become comfortable with the way that little rifle kicks - hard - when shooting for real. In a standing position is OK but I'll be honest and say I've never really enjoyed taking carefully aimed shots at paper with the Mountain Rifle. Nor prone shots at rabbits to check the sights are still on. Using the Mausers is going to be completely different.

Firstly, I find the weight of the Mauser M03 to be an ideal balance between solid heft for stability and recoil control, versus easy portability. Secondly, the grip of the M03, while still quite slim and sporty, fills my hand more fully than the Mountain Rifle and I think this helps. The straight butt-stock helps too and to my eye looks just right.

I factored good recoil control as a positive in my assessment of the Mauser M03 and I'm pleased to find that it performs exactly as expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions make this blog much more interesting. You can submit them for moderation here via your Google account, or take them over to the Mauser M03 Blog - Discussion Forum (link at top of page). If you do comment here I'll publish it and reply as soon as possible. Please check back soon. Thanks.
Regards, Rick.

Subscribe