Sunday 16 February 2014

Blaser vs Mauser? Part 5. A Decision.

As I prepared to visit Miall's Gun Shop for the second time, a year after the first visit, I pretty well had my thoughts about the Blaser R8 and Mauser M03 lined up. About the Helix too. That means I had a clear understanding of how every aspect of each rifle system would influence how I used them. It doesn't mean my mind was entirely made up on what I would order, but I was getting close. Ah, the luxury of not needing to make a decision in a hurry. It's a rare thing in our busy lives these days. I had really enjoyed being able to take my time on this.

The day came and I spent an hour or so talking with the manager at Miall's, Joel, as well as with John Miall again, while handling a few different R8s and M03s and discussing all of the factors that were important to me. I visited again a few days later, this time ready to select a new rifle, if not two. Or possibly three. If it was to be only one, I'd decided it would be a Mauser M03. If more than one, then more Mauser M03s. I had a list of reasons why, which in rough order of importance looks like this:

- the trigger of the M03 is simply outstanding. I will have the Combi Trigger, a combination of a direct trigger and a set trigger. Every M03 I've tried has had a trigger that I've found to be perfect. It would be possible to have the two weights adjusted to match my preferences; 900gm for the direct trigger and 150gm for the set trigger. Both trigger weights have free play after the release so pulling the blade does not disturb the rifle. I could go on but these are the highlights of the M03's wonderful trigger - such an important part of a good rifle's human-machine interface.


- the action of the M03 is strong, reliable and unambiguous. When I close the bolt on a cartridge I will know that it's closed properly. As I prefer, the bolt can be closed slowly and quietly, without any risk that it won't fire. It will close on fire-formed and possibly tight reloads, enhancing the accuracy I'll be able to achieve. It will close even if grit or bits of forest get into the works. It will extract those tight cartridges without a problem - the bolt handle will give me all the leverage I need. The 60 degree bolt lift will keep the handle clear of the scope for faster and easier reloading than I'm used to. I'm not a soldier and I don't need lightning fast reloading. I'm happy taking a few seconds to reload while I scan the target area and beyond.

- the cocking/de-cocking lever on the M03 bolt is ideal for my needs. It makes the rifle so much safer than anything I've used before. I find it to be easy and quiet to operate. It doesn't interfere with my grip in any way, nor my thumb moving to the bolt handle and back. The bolt is locked closed when the firing spring is de-cocked, to avoid accidental opening or the handle lifting out of position. The use of the same lever to open the action avoids the need for another device for this. That lever is used again to enable removal of the bolt head. It's a very good design. This might irritate Blaser fans, but I find the M03 cocking lever to be easier to operate than the slide on the R8. Further, to open the action with the M03 the lever is pushed away from Fire and beyond Safe, whereas with the R8, to open the action the cocking slide is pushed towards Fire.


- the reputation for accuracy and repeatability of the Mauser M03 is solid. Extreme accuracy isn't important in some hunting situations but is very important in others and I'd always rather have it than not. I reload for all of my rifles and get great accuracy, even with my old Remington Mountain Rifle now. The barrel mounting method is via two longitudinally arranged screws into a V-block that is part of the steel receiver. This makes for strong barrel mounting and convenient barrel switching, which is quicker than many alternative systems and more accurate than quicker systems. I could not find a switch barrel system that provides better accuracy. It would not be unreasonable to suggest that the Mauser M03 is the most accurate switch barrel hunting rifle available.


- the barrel lengths offered as standard by Mauser are ideal for me. That is, 60cm for standard barrels instead of 56cm with the Merkel Helix or 58cm with the Blaser R8. Mauser's magnum barrels are 65cm long. Blaser's are the same; Merkel's are 61cm. I like the noisy end of the barrel to be far away and I like to get high bullet velocity from the powder I've paid for and carefully measured out.

Update in Nov 2016. In this newer post there is discussion of Mauser's new and shorter barrels for standard and magnum calibres. They are reduced from 60cm to 56cm for standard calibres and from 65cm to 62cm for magnum calibres. This matches the barrel lengths of M12 rifles.

- the magazine has the capacity of five standard or four magnum cartridges. With one more in the chamber, thanks to the de-cocking lever, I'll have six shots at a mob of pigs. That happens to equal the most shots I've fired before they've all rolled over or bolted out of sight. The magazine can be easily topped up in-situ or quickly removed for even easier filling. Or a spare can be quickly inserted. The magazine does not protrude so will not snag, get in the way or be uncomfortable with various carrying positions, including two favourites of mine - cradled in both hands in front of my belly or with the stock riding across my shoulder, the area in front of the trigger guard as the balance point. Anything other than a flush fitting magazine would literally be a pain. The magazine locks into the stock with a solid 'tung' sound, but it's not a precision fit, which means that any grit or gunk or coat pocket detritus that gets in the way won't be a problem.


- the rugged design concept mentioned above with the magazine applies more broadly to the whole of the M03. This is a Mauser in the full sense of what that name stands for. Ruggedness and functionality is fundamental to the design philosophy. This rifle will work in adverse environments, where sand or snow might be blown into the action. The mechanical advantage provided by the bolt handle means that cartridges will chamber successfully even if fragments of forest or bits of tree fern get caught up in the bolt lugs. They'll be crushed and pushed out of the way. I have before and will again hunt in conditions where my rifles get covered in all sorts of rubbish. It's been Mauser style actions that have kept going on those occasions. From now on it'll be a Mauser itself that keeps going. No bear or buffalo or cranky pig will ever get me for the reason that I chose a rifle that wasn't rugged enough. No hunting guide will ever need to tell me that my rifle is not permitted or up to the challenge.

- the M03's one piece walnut stock closely matches my visual and ergonomic preferences, with its straight butt stock being good for recoil management, while the pistol grip with its palm swell is ideal.

- the bolt head of an M03 is very solidly attached to the bolt body while being easily removable and exchangeable. It's really not a problem but the bolt head of a Blaser R8 is more difficult to remove and exchange, while the bolt head of an RX Helix can easily be removed without even intending to.




- the weight of the M03 is the result of a number of design features that I value, including the bolt body, bolt head, receiver, barrel mount, trigger guard, magazine, sights, scope mount and rings all being made from steel. This makes a standard M03 weigh between 200 to 500 grams more than a standard Blaser R8 or Merkel RX Helix, which have a lot of aluminium alloy in their construction, including the receivers. While I will certainly notice this weight when I'm carrying an M03, I will definitely value it when I'm firing one. For years I've had the opposite with my Remington Mountain Rifle; I've valued its light weight for the carrying, but not for the shooting. Sure, I got used to the recoil, but I didn't enjoy it. The M03 will be better in this respect. Update: Three years on and after lots of carrying on long walks, up and down hills, I find the weight of the M03 to be just fine. For reference, I'm mid-fifties, reasonably fit (but no athlete!) and small and light in stature. The M03's weight and straight stock design works really well in taming recoil.

- standard barrels for M03s are 17mm at the muzzle while match and Africa barrels are 19mm. This difference is not so great as to make standard barrels look odd if mounted into a match or Africa stock. I plan to have a match stock and some match barrels; eventually I'll order an Africa barrel to go with it. From time to time I'll install a standard barrel in that match stock; it will look OK. With the Blaser R8, the match and Africa barrels are 22mm at the muzzle vs 17mm for standard barrels. This difference would be more noticeable; a narrow barrel in a wide channel.

- with the Mauser M03 match barrels being 19mm at the muzzle, the rifles remain balanced enough to still be huntable. I have a Sako varmint rifle with a 22mm barrel, like Blaser's match barrels, and its weight and balance is really not the best for active hunting. It's great for sniping from a fixed position, preferably right next to the car.

Some of the images in this post are screen shots I've taken from this video made by Mauser - an instruction guide for the M03 (embedded below). When I get a moment I'll see if I can take some pictures of my own showing more of the features mentioned.



I made this video to demonstrate how quietly the cocking lever can be operated.



This video shows Joel, the manager at Miall's Gun Shop, demonstrating a Mauser M03 at SSAA Shot Show 2013, starting at 15.09.

2 comments:

  1. is mauser mo3 available in 22mm match barrel and 24inch length in standart calibers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello unknown. Thanks for this question. The simple answer is that the Mauser M03 barrels come in two barrel diameter sizes, being 17mm for Standard, Trail and Stalker barrels and 19mm for Match, Africa and Solid barrels. There is no 22mm diameter barrel for the M03. That size is available with Blaser R8 Safari and Match barrels, while their Standard barrels are 17mm and their Semi-Weight barrels are 19mm.

    The length of the Mauser M03 barrels is 56cm for Standard calibres and 62cm for Magnum calibres.

    In looking into this I've noticed that the Mauser website is being rebuilt at the moment. There is a catalogue download available in the meantime, which indicates that the M03 model line has been 'refreshed', with new model names and revised stock shapes. Hmm, interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and questions make this blog much more interesting. You can submit them for moderation here via your Google account, or take them over to the Mauser M03 Blog - Discussion Forum (link at top of page). If you do comment here I'll publish it and reply as soon as possible. Please check back soon. Thanks.
Regards, Rick.

Subscribe